New Jersey’s other local news sites are no couch potatoes either when it comes to food coverage. Patch and The Alternative Press were all over the grand opening of Carlo’s Bakery in Westfield this past weekend as throngs of hungry locals lined up to see TLC’s “Cake Boss” Buddy Valastro expand his empire beyond Hoboken.
Former Westfield Patch editor John Celock also got a scoop for Huffington Post as Valastro spoke out at the event about those who criticize Gov. Chris Christie for his weight. ”It is kind of sick, the world we live in,” Valastro told Celock. “People talk about his weight, and we wonder why kids bully kids.” Valastro has endorsed Christie and is chairman of Small Business for Christie.
In non-food-related local news:
- With New Jersey’s students headed back to school, education stories proliferated on local news sites. In Westfield, some are wondering if democracy is dead as there will again be an uncontested Board of Education election; Livingston TAP reported on an inventive graduate; and Westfield TAP had an update on teachers’ contracts.
- While Newark made news for homicides this week as well as dangerous driving, Glocally Newark focused on an international soccer tournament.
- More Monmouth Musings has the story of five women who are petitioning the NJ General Assembly to impeach the Monmouth County Superior Court Judge would presided over their divorce cases.
- Jersey Tomato Press is busy covering a homicide in West Orange and an suspected drug overdose in Fairfield.
- For only $2,200, you can fly in a P-51 mustang fighter at Morristown Airport – but only through noon on Friday! See Morristown Green’s compelling video of a flight here:
Finally, Franklin Township in Somerset County became richer in local news this past week with the introduction of the Franklin Reporter & Advocate, the digital brainchild of veteran journalist Bill Bowman. Read Bowman’s introduction to the site here.
Here’s our full roundup of the best in local New Jersey media news coverage this past week:
Carlo’s Bakery in Westfield Celebrates Grand Opening The Alternative Press Westfield
Cake Boss Says Chris Christie’s Weight Is Not An Issue Huffington Post
Red Bank: Cupcakes with a French Twist Red Bank Green
TheAlternativePress West Essex
*Stories are available for repost through our Story Exchange.