The Center for Cooperative Media, located on the campus of Montclair State University, is seeking applicants for a part-time software developer to assist the Center, the NJ News Commons and its partners with implementing data journalism projects and modifying news sites. Candidates should be experienced in parsing datasets and representing data through web-based visualizations. They should be experienced in WordPress, be able to assist with WordPress installations (including the new Blargo WordPress theme), troubleshooting, plugins and modifications for multiple news organizations. While the candidate is not required to work on the campus, there will be frequent meetings that will require face-to-face meetings and good communication skills. The position is currently slated through June, 2014, but may be renewed after that time dependent upon funding.
* Strong knowledge of PHP or another popular server-side language
* Experience working with datasets via files and APIs
* Experience installing, maintaining, and extending WordPress
* Experience with the linux command line
* Work in open-source development
* Past work with Twitter Bootstrap
Please respond via email to Debbie Galant with a letter describing your ability to meet the requirements, your availability, your specific hourly rate, and a resume. The position announcement will remain open until the position is filled.